Re: About \partcombine

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: About \partcombine
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:43:58 +0200

> Hello to everybody. As somebody already knows, I am typesetting Mozart's
> Piano Concerto KV 459 (I have completed the first movement!), and I have
> another question about the \partcombine command.
>
> Ok, my situation is: I want to create an orchestral score and many
> individual parts, one for each instrument in the orchestra. To do this, I
> structured the set of .ly files as the `orchestral score example' in the
> tutorial.
>
> Here comes the question. It is quite common for me to manually adjust some
> things which Lilypond does not handle very well, e.g. raising/lowering
> slur attachments. Now, let's consider two parts that are to be joined
> together with \partcombine in the orchestral score (for instance, oboe I
> and oboe II). I would like to use some of these "corrections" for the
> orchestral score but not for the solo part, or vice versa. For instance,
> the following score could be perfect for creating an individual score:

> oboeI = \notes { ... }
> oboeII = \notes \relative c' {
>     % These settings are ok for the individual score.
>     \slurDown
>     c4( d e )f
> }
>
> but when typesetting the orchestral score, I might want to have \slurDown
> instead of \slurUp:

> oboeI = \notes { ... }
> oboeII = \notes \relative c' {
>     % Better using these settings to create a `\partcombine'd staff
>     \slurUp
>
>     c4( d e )f
> }
>
> % Here I combine oboeI and oboeII via \partcombine
>
> Is there a simple way to do this? One solution could be the C preprocessor
> (one would use #ifdef macros to enclose these \property commands, and then
> call the `cpp' program on the .ly files with different -Dxxx arguments),
> but maybe somebody knows a clever solution.

You could use more or less the same solution as is indicated in
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/lilypond-user/2002-May/001350.html
but inserting \slurUp and \slurDown commands instead of
tempo indications. Note that the property settings and the
music have to be in the same Voice context to give the desired
result.

   /Mats