Re: percent repeat

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: percent repeat
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:55:43 +0200

"Antonio PALAMA'" <address@hidden> writes:

> O.K. it seems I have to go to 1.5.63. I downloaded the sources and
> tried ./configure (I'm running Debian Woody)
> I get
> configure: error: Cannot find kpathsea functions. You should install
> kpathsea.
>
> I have the Debian package libkpathsea3 installed.
> Should I install libkpathsea-dev also?

Yes.  See INSTALL.txt

> Another question already asked by Atte Jensen:
>
> "What's the best route to follow to have both 1.4.14 and 1.5.63
> installed at the same time? "

The easiest, is by not installing either one, but running from the
build directory.  That's what I do.  See post

    http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/lilypond-devel/2002-July/001138.html

The next-easiest method is to install in your home dir, using
different prefixes:

    lily-1.4$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond-1.4.15
    lily-1.4$ make all install

    lily-1.5$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond-1.5.64
    lily-1.5$ make all install

You just need to switch your $PATH.

The last option is to pick a distribution that ships both.  This
should be the easiest option, but there's as yet not a distribution
that does this, afaik.  It should be fairly easy to, during the make
install phase, add a version suffix to each executable (ie,
/usr/bin/lilypond-x.y.z, /usr/bin/ly2dvi-x.y.z, etc.), and make
symlinks to favour the one that gets 'currently' installed.

LilyPond itself should be prepared to handle this.

All of this, except for the first option, is untested, of course.

Btw, as you may know, we're closing in on LilyPond 1.6.  You should
not have too much reason to want to run 1.4 anymore, because if you
do, you'll soon be quite outdated, lily-wise.

Greetings,
Jan.