Re: latex failure problem

From: Carter Brey
Subject: Re: latex failure problem
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:42:39 +0900

Hi,

Yes, Lily 1.5.58 won't compile past a certain file size. Per your advice, I've been struggling for the past week to get 1.5.63 to compile from source, wothout success. I run gcc 3.0.4 on Linux kernel 2.4.17, and for the first time am running into this Flex problem with this version of gcc. The patch fails every time (no clue why), and I've even tried replacing lines 21 through 28 in lexer.cc by hand after the intial flex run (perhaps I'm doing something wrong here?), and still my compile grinds to a halt after 10 minutes or so. It's a bummer but not enough of one to make me downgrade my gcc version with a dialup connection from a hotel room!

If anyone has an insight, I's be so grateful. In the meantime I can compile my score piecemeal and will patiently wait for a) a binary release of 1.5.63 or b) 1.6.

Thanks,
Carter

Han-Wen wrote:

address@hidden writes:

In this case it's actually not LaTeX but Lilypond that breaks as can be seen from the line
warning: lilypond: command exited with value 139 (ignored)
in your output.

I tried your file with version 1.5.63 without any problem, but 1.4.14 broke with a segmentation fault, so it may be
that you hit one of the intricate memory handling bugs that
were fixed in version 1.5.63. I recommend to upgrade.

Impressive piece (I also see interesting spacing issues with 1.5.64
:-). I processed it ok with 1.5.64, but your description matches the
problem that we fixed in 1.4 this weekend. In case you didn't try 1.5,
can you try 1.4.15 (or if you run windows, 1.4.14.jcn4) and tell us
whether that solves your problem?

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys | address@hidden | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen

--