lilypond-mode in Emacs on Windows

From: Peter Dixon
Subject: lilypond-mode in Emacs on Windows
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:32:48 +0100

I have been running Lilypond under Linux for 2 years quite successfully
and am now wanting to move to Windows.  There are 2 reasons:

- our Linux machine is silent (no sound card), and we are making increasing
use of MIDI output.

- although I have learnt a great deal about music and typesetting through
using Lilypond I feel that the Linux-phobic musicians would be more
effective if they did it rather than telling me what to do.

I have installed Lilypond 1.4.14.jcn3-1 onto Cygwin 1.3.10-1, and GNU
emacs 21.2  on Windows XP.  I chose to install emacs directly onto
Windows.  LilyPond and Emacs are both working successfully and
"lilypond-mode" is syntax-colouring the .ly files.

My problem comes when I press the "2PS" command:

cd c:/cygwin/home/Peter/
ly2dvi -P c:/cygwin/home/Peter/praedulium-fuga-E.ly
'ly2dvi' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

2PS exited abnormally with code 1 at Fri Jun 28 18:38:02
----------------------------------

I tried changing the emacs variable 'shell-file-name' from
"c:/emacs/bin/CMDproxy.exe" to "c:/cygwin/bin/sh/exe" and then got:

cd c:/cygwin/home/Peter/
ly2dvi -P c:/cygwin/home/Peter/praedulium-fuga-E.ly
ly2dvi: not found

2PS exited abnormally with code 127 at Fri Jun 28 18:42:33
--------------------------------

I then started emacs from cygwin using /cygdrive/c/emacs/bin/runemacs.
After changing shell-file-name as above I got:

cd c:/cygwin/home/Peter/
ly2dvi -P c:/cygwin/home/Peter/praedulium-fuga-E.ly
Running LilyPond...
GNU LilyPond 1.4.14.jcn3
warning: can't find file:
`/home/Peter/c:/cygwin/home/Peter/praedulium-fuga-E'
warning: no lilypond output found for
/home/Peter/c:/cygwin/home/Peter/praedulium-fuga-E
Running LaTeX...
Running dvips...
error: dvips: command exited with value 256

I've searched http://lilypond.org/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ for hints on configuring emacs
without success.  What should I do?

Peter Dixon