Re: Location of Parser? (and EPIC journey through source code)

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: Location of Parser? (and EPIC journey through source code)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 01:01:16 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> meant when it read the string "repeat" it would return from
> lookup_table the token REPEAT, which was interpreted in parser.yy to
> execute code to generate a Repeated_music object.

> I dunno, kinda confusing.

Yes, the code to do the keyword lookup is just about the oldest
surviving code from lilypond 0.0.x, and the whole procedure is a
little baroque. Nevertheless it works, and unless I get patches (hint
hint :) I don't see any reason to change it.

> I had to rely on grep and praying a bit too
> much to find all that.

Well, I use grep almost exclusively for finding things in the source
code. It is much more efficient than reading comments, and it is
always up to date (something that is often not true for comments).
I've found that praying doesn't work so well, btw. In emacs, the grep
command is conveniently close, mapped to F4.

> scan_bare_word.  I I'm still not sure what an identifier is.  *shrug*
> C'est la vie.  Nice job on the binary search, and masterful use of
> Bison/Flex!

Thanks.

Just out of  curiosity: why are you so interested in how it all works?

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen