Re: Location of Parser? (and EPIC journey through source code)

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Location of Parser? (and EPIC journey through source code)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 02:07:23 +0200

Starling <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh I'd love to, if I could get it to compile.  c.c  Downloaded the CVS
> source followed the lexer-gcc 3.0 rules, and got an error telling me
> to downgrade my compiler.  :(  I dun' have enough space for two
> versions of a compiler.

You also have problems?  I looked into this for gcc-3.0, about a year
ago, when the first prereleases entered Debian.  It turned out, that
flex generates invalid C++ code, that gcc-3.x chokes on.  Last time I
checked, gcc-3.x was still *much* slower than 2.95.x, and the
resulting code too, so I've not switched yet.

In the meantime, however, Debian fixed flex, so I considered the
problem to be gone.  I still suspect you have a too old, or unpatched,
flex for the gcc you use, but it may be that you're seeing another
problem.

What distribution do you run?  Are you up to date?  It may just be
that you need to update, or file a bug report.

What is the error you get?  Does manually fixing the flex output (have
a look at the lexer patch, it's real simple), work?

Greetings,
Jan.