GCC 3.x, 3.1.x

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: GCC 3.x, 3.1.x
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:30:17 +0200

Hi,

Today, I've looked into the questions and bugreports you sent recently
concerning compiling LilyPond using gcc 3.x.

There were several problems during the configuration process, wrt the
detection of gcc 3.1.1 (Debian prerelease).

The gcc-3.1.1 (Debian prerelease) has become more strict, and required
and suggested several LilyPond source code fixes.  You'll still get
deprecation warnings about multiline strings, but these are harmless.

Also it turned out that the latest version of flex, as distributed in
Debian unstable (2.5.4a-26), does *not* produce g++-3.1.1 compliant
C++ code.  The plain, unpatched flex release 2.5.4a, will not even
produce g++-3.0.x complient C++ code.

A fix has been made to

   ./lexer-gcc-3.0.patch

and a new script

   ./lexer-gcc-3.1.sh

has been added to workaround these flex problems.

Together with the other fixes for lilypond 1.5, that are now in CVS,
it's possible to build a functional lilypond executable.  I can't say
when (or if) these fixes get backported to 1.4.

WARNING: Note however, that it's *not* recommended to use or upgrade
  to a version of gcc that has no explicit flex support (ie, extra
  patches for flex).

  So, before ugrading to gcc-3.x, please enquire if your distribution
  supports g++ 3.x and flex.  At the time of writing (Fri Jul 5 2002),
  *no* distribution that we know of ships a flex that generates
  gcc-3.1.x compliant C++ code.

And if this all isn't bad enough, I found Debian unstable's g++-3.0.4
not able to produce a working executable.  Users of Debian unstable
are advised to downgrade to 2.95.x, or if you're adventurous, to
upgrad to 3.1.x.

Greetings,
Jan.