RE: two bugs (?)

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: RE: two bugs (?)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:02:32 +0100

You  are probably right about the soundcards,  I tend to use MIDI as MIDI,  i.e. through  the MIDI interface.   It's quite easy to  pick  up second  hand MIDI  synths quite  cheaply, and I've got  lots of bits and pieces  left over from  running  a business  that sold MIDI interfaces etc.   That was back  in the days  when  everyone's computer worked differently.

You  can  configure more than one MIDI interface to  be working  at a time.  So if, for instance,  you had  2 soundcards,  you  could  have two external  and  two  internal MIDI  devices  -  64 instruments.  I think,  but I will have  to look up the spec (or should I say specs,  there are 3  types of  MIDI file), that you can  control  this  from one  MIDI file.

BTW  You  can get GPL'd  software (Midishare see:  http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/) That can control  up to 256 MIDI devices,   and connect them together  in wierd and wonderful ways.   I haven't used  it for  a  long  time  so  I can't  say much about  how well  it  works.

Bernard