Re: partial measures

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: partial measures
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:58:26 +0200

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 00.39, Mark M. Wilson wrote:
> I'm trying to write an eighth-note pickup to a full measure in 12/8
> time.  I wrote:
> \partial 11  e8
> but this doesn't work.  The syntax reference didn't give an example, and
> since I'm apparently an idiot, I can't figure out what kind of number or
> what value I'm supposed to specify. What should follow the `\partial' ?

The total duration of the pickup measure you are inserting, in this case it's
one eighth and hence
\parital 8 e8 |
is what you should write. If the measure would contain e.g. five eighths, it
would probably be something like
\partial 8*5 e8 e e e e |

\parital 11 means that the pickup measure gets the length of 1/11, i.e. an
11th note, which is valid but not often used in Real Music.

Erik