Re: Figured bass: + and \

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Figured bass: + and \
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:00:11 +0200

Yes, these symbols were commonly used, at least in late
baroque music. One main problem at the moment is that
we don't have any font symbols for these slashed numbers.
Last time I looked into it, I thought the layout of the
numeric font in Lilypond wasn't really well suited for this
purpose, but maybe we could use it anyway for the moment
and maybe introduce some alternative font in the future.

I wouldn't make any distinktion between overstrike and
plus, it's just that the slash is differently oriented
for different numbers. In all cases it just indicates
an alteration and you have to understand from the context
if its a flat or a sharp. This also means that we can
(and should) keep the current input syntax. It's just a
matter of different typesetting conventions to indicate
the same thing. By setting a style property, you should
be able to get either the current layout with a separate
accidental (more common in early baroque) or the slashed
numbers (more common in late baroque). One problem is
that several different typesetting conventions were used,
not just two. I think I have seen the accidentals printed
both before, after or above the figure in different
manuscripts.

   /Mats