Re: download error

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: download error
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:54:55 +0200

address@hidden writes:

Please keep discussion on the list.

> Thanks the installation runs!!

Good.

It's the Cygwin installer.  See http://cygwin.com

> View Full Checks the setup.exe my installation? can I change the
> c:\cygwin dir to d:\cygwin

In theory, you should be able to do that, you should be able to mount
cygwin wherever you want, or parts of cygwin on c: and parts on d:.
It would be nice if it worked, and if you get it to work, please add a
note to the wikiwiki.  However, don't expect too much support if you
have problems with this.

> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/bin$ mid2ly canyon.mid

midi2ly, I think?

>  File "mid2ly", line 42, in ?
>    import midi
> ImportError: No module named midi

That's hopefully a configuration error.  The module should be
installed in:

    /usr/share/lilypond/1.5.68/python/midi.so

so, try:

    export PYTHONPATH=/usr/share/lilypond/1.5.68/python
    midi2ly canyon.mid

If you're unlucky, loading a .so doesn't work.  In that case, you'll
have to wait for a new release, or compile it yourself.

> 3.
> Then, prepare a file called foo.ly, by issuing
> notepad foo.ly
> Enter the following into the file
> \score { \notes { c4 ( ) c4 } }
> Close the file and save it. Run the following command a few times (at
> least three times) until it says PS output to `foo.ps', DVI output to
> `foo.dvi'.

This is old information, is this still on the web?  What version of
LilyPond do you have installed?  It should work the first time now.

> ly2dvi -P foo
> You can now view the file using the following command
> gsview32 foo.ps my notes do not have heads:   att.: foo.ps

Indeed, no fonts.  Try running with -P and --verbose, and send output
to the list.

> 4. How can I change the name /cygdrive/?

Have a look at the documentation or mailing lists at
htpp://cygwin.com.  There should normally be no need to use
/cygdrive/c/cygwin, it's the same as /.  Normally, /cygdrive/c/cygwin
should be mounted as root, ie:

    $ mount
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type system
(binmode)
    C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
    C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
    C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
    c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)

> Thanks Arne

Good luck,
Jan.