Re: Release candidates for 1.6 (was: output png)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Release candidates for 1.6 (was: output png)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 00:35:44 +0200

> Which brings me to another question: will there be "semi-stable" releases of
> the 1.5 strand before 1.6 is released?  I'm not that good at dealing with
> compilation problems and the usual devel stuff, but I have a fair amount
> of music (website waiting for 1.6, since it seems to be close :)  that I can
> throw at 1.5.  Some of my music is fairly complex, too.

I'd say 1.5 has been more than semi-stable most of the time for the
last months. Just pick the latest you can find, I think some of them
are available as RPMs, .dpkgs, ... so you don't necessarily have to
compile it yourself.

> If that's not planned, how hard is it to maintain a stable-lily and devel-lily
> on the same box?  I think I could manage to keep the binaries seperate, but
> I don't know how I'd deal with the fonts.

For the latest 1.5.xx versions, it's easy to run from the build
directory, Jan wrote a nice description in some email recently
(check the archives).
The only thing that might be a problem is that if you have a
stable-lily installed at the standard location with fonts generated
at the standard location, these fonts may be found also by the
development version so it doesn't realize it can and should
build new versions (which will end up in a local directory).
Send a question on the list if you need more help.

  /Mats