Re: problems with invisible bar line

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: problems with invisible bar line
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:49:59 +0000

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:55:58 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > An invisible bar line should really be invisible, but it currently
> > > influences spacing, which is bad IMHO.  Can you fix this?
> >
> > How did you make it invisible? Did you use \bar ""
>
> Yes, following the 1.5.xx instructions.
>
> > or did you use any of the more general methods described in the
> > section on "Invisible Grobs" that's included in the reference manual
> > for the 1.4.xx series but for some reason has disappeared in the
> > 1.5.xx manual.
>
> No.  I think that `\bar ""' should be fully sufficient -- is there
> ever a reason to have an invisible bar which influences spacing?  In
> case there is I suggest to provide a new macro, say, \invisibleBar
> which also sets the necessary properties.
>

>     Werner

Since s is used for silent rest, and that does not influence
spacing, and since an invisible rest which does influence
horizontal spacing (and unfortunately also vertical) must
be furnished by the user, it would be more consistent to
have a silent bar which does not influence spacing, simply
because that is less confusing.

Somehow the distinction between silent and invisible
should be made clear and consistent and as much as possible
the same for all relevant grobs.

IMHO it would be better if silent rests were called
invisible rests and invisible rests with horizontal
spacing were called spacing rests, which is the opposite
of what is going on now. DaveA

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden