Re: critical Lily to PDF question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: critical Lily to PDF question
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:23:18 +0200

> 1) Alternative 3B would be ideal for me, since that is exactly the
> situation. But the problem is that I have cgwin in one directory and Miktex
> in another and I think lilypond-book will not be able to find all the files
> included (I have a lot  of "input filename" for each chapter. But this is
> not the biggest problem. For I can create a muckup file.tex with only the
> lilypond examples and then manually move the eps files to the right
> directroy. THE real problem is that when I apply lilypond-book to
> filename.tex it produce a file filename.latex which is exactly the same it
> does nothing on the file. IT does not create any EPS or anything. That's the
> real problem which is now driving me crazy.

First of all, the tetex included with cygwin is just as capable as
MiKTeX when it comes to LaTeX and PDFLaTeX, at least if you include
the full tetex package not the tiny one in setup.exe.

My recommendation is that you use lilypond-book on the
filename.tex file that contains your final document (to
be processed with pdflatex). In the places where you want
a musical example, use \lilypond{...} or \begin[eps]{lilypond}...
\end{lilypond} as described in the lilypond-book manual.
Then, follow the step described in my previous email.
This is the great advantage of lilypond-book, that you can
keep the full document together, including examples. The
extra steps needed to support pdflatex could easily be
included in the lilypond-book script as well.

> 2) As an alternative 2 or 2B would be eventually fine, I could just move the
> files again manually. But the problem is that the PDFs generaged this way
> are not simply the score but a whole page with page number and "Lilypond was
> here" and all, whereas I just want the figure, so I can integrate into the
> pdftex document. I think 1B) has the same problem.

If you really want the hazzle of keeping separate files for each
musical example and you only have single-line examples, you could
use 'ly2dvi --preview file.ly' to produce a file.png file of the
first line of the score but I really recommend lilypond-book as
described above.

   /Mats