tab

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: tab
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:52:13 +0000

I don't think I stated the case nearly strongly enough.

The syntax for tab is clever, but still unacceptable.

Entering tab by using a 1 for the 6th string, 5 for
the 2nd string, etc., simply won't do.

Even if a "ratiug" (backwards guitar) is
set up, there is a serious
drawback, because the number of strings on a
guitar has varied in the past and continues to do so
in the present.

The guitar of Fuenllana was EBGD.  That still exists
as a baritone uke and tiple.

The baroque guitar is EBGDA.

The modern standard is EBGDAE.

The Russian guitar, which originated in France,
where Coste (1830's) wrote for it, is EBGDAED.

There are also other seven, eight and ten string (courses)
guitars out there.

Anyone wanting to have versions for guitars with
different numbers of strings has to change all of
his numbers.  This also applies to some other
stringed instruments.  This is a serious
usability issue.

Please fix this *now*.  String number 1 *must* be
the first string which belongs at the top line of
the tablature.  I know changing it is ugly, but
not changing it is uglier, believe me, so the
sooner you change it the better.

My ox is not gored.  My purpose in this harangue
is entirely unselfish.  I have no intention of
doing historical editions ever, so I will never
use guitar tab, and I will use something like
d g b c s for banjo strings anyway.  You should
change it because it will make lilypond better,
and if you don't change it it will make lilypond
less good, and the longer you delay the worse
it will be.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden