Re: tab

From: Anna Langley
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:30:53 +0100

At this point I need to put my hand up as a lilypond user and a
renaissance lutenist!

I am also alive and read most of the music I play from these "upside
down systems" (i.e. Italian Tablature)! And I am far from alone in
doing so.  Why would I and others do this?  Because we can then
play directly from the original sources, or facsimiles thereof.
And this has several advantages.  We don't have to wait for
someone, possibly ourselves, to transcribe it into modern notation
(with their editorial "corrections").  And the repertoire for the
upside down notation (Italian tab) is enormous and so wonderful,
that it is mad for a lutenist not to learn to read it!

Tablature in the renaissance and baroque was used not just by lutes,
but by all fretted instruments. For example: lutes, archlutes,
theorbos, bandoras, orpharions, citterns, guitars, vihuelas, viola
a mano, and violas da gamba.

The publishing industry for these instruments at the time was on a
scale much larger than you might think.  Print runs (as discovered
from publishing contracts of the time) ran into the tens of
thousands.  There is now a constant stream of rediscovery of this
work.  And correspondingly there is a constant growth of people
interested in playing it, as the classical music world grows aware
that there is more to the renaissance than Greensleeves!

I disagree with David that tablature notation was a significant
factor in the demise of the lute.  In the baroque the lute
continued as a solo instrument, but with up to 13 courses.  It
mutated into a much more expensive instrument, cutting out a large
part of its traditional constituency.  The archlutes and theorbos
appeared with were again expensive and were mainly used by
professional musicians as continuo instruments and as solo
instruments by wealthy amateurs.  Professional musicians would have
been playing their intruments from figured bass, not tab.  These
instruments fell into disuse as orchestras gradually dropped their
continuo instruments (harpsichords, theorbos, organs) out of their
regular lineup.

For historical instrument players, tab is an incredibly useful tool.
It allows you to easily transfer your existing skills from one
instrument to another.

I would suggest that one could look at the program Tab by Wayne
Cripps from Dartmouth College for some inspiration in a flexible
system for typesetting tablature.  If you're interested in seeing
some examples of these different types of tablature then I suggest
obtaining tab and processing some of the examples.  Tab can be
obtained from ftp://ftp.cs.dartmouth.edu/pub/lute

These are the common types of renaissance/baroque lute tablature
using a stave:

French/English (the English called it French, the French English!):
6 lines (5 in earlier sources) highest course on top.
Alphabetical: a=open string, b=1st fret ... n=12th fret
Quirks:
There is no "j" fret, it is too easily confused with "i".  Think of
Latin.
"c" is often written as "r" to distinguish it more easily from "e".

Italian:
6 lines, highest course on the bottom.
0=open string, 1=1st fret ... 9, x=10th fret
x(with a dot above left)=11th fret
x(with two dots above)=12th fret

"Spanish":
As in Italian, but highest course at the top

Neapolitan:
As in "Spanish", but 1=open string, etc
I don't know how the 12th fret is expressed.

Bear in mind that tab applied to smaller instruments, may have 4 or
5 lines.

The stems (called "flags") are written above the stave.  They can
either be present for every note, or appear only when there is a
change of duration.

Right hand fingering is rendered by a single dot under the note (not
the flag!) for the first finger, two dots (..) for the second,
three dots (in an upward facing triangle) for the third.  The
fourth is not usually used (it is lying on the belly of the lute).

I hope this helps!

I'd be very glad to offer input into the development of tab on
lilypond!  But to be honest, until now I didn't realise that it did
tab at all.

Best wishes,

Anna