nothing but the stems

From: Al Arduengo
Subject: nothing but the stems
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:07:34 -0500

Hello all,

I finally got lilypond to compile correctly and everything *seems* to be ok except for one item. I compiled the Romanze Op 28 sample provided on the web page and other than some warnings about clashing note columns, it appeared to work fine. However, when I view the ps, pdf outputs I see everything *except* the heads of the notes. The staff, author, title, stems, braces are there. But the accidentals, dynamics markings, clefs and heads are not there. All I see in their place are some suspicious small dots. I am not very knowledgeable about the use of TeX and I am afraid the problem may be an issue with some part of the TeX distribution on my system. I have verified all fonts reside where needed. I installed the geometry package by making a 'geometry' directory in the latex subdirectory and copying the geometry.cfg and geometry.sty files there. This seems to be the search path for latex. As mentioned before, compiling lilypond did not appear to go wrong. Could someone possibly tell me what portion of the TeX system is responsible for placing the heads on the notes and other missing items?

FYI, my hardware is:
Linux kernel 2.4.18
Slackware 8.0
PII-266 with 192M ram on a Thinkpad 600.

Kindest regards,
-Al Arduengo