Re: tab

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:44:37 +0200

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

Thanks much.  The scholarly poster is right that there are
historical instances of putting the first string at the
bottom, but English renaissance lute tablature and all
modern tabs have the first string at the top so the
low notes will be on the bottom.  *No one alive* is really
used to the upside down systems.

Well, I know peoble who prefer the tabs either way.

Pitch wasn't the issue anyway, just the definition
of the first string, which doesn't vary for stringed
instruments, fretted or not.  Of course a left handed
player has his first string closest to his left hand
instead of his right, but it's still the 1st string.

I think you misplaced the last "left" and "right" in that statement...?

And I really would like to know how to get rid of
the stems in the tab.

I have given you an answer on that one.

How about a short cut like this example for banjo?

Yes, the semantics for lilypond are quite hairy, currently - and lots of syntax extensions could be made to simplify things - especially the way of setting the properties and moving around grobs.

\defStrings d'=d b=b g=g d=c g'=s

Yes, the defStrings sounds like a nice macro. But I would personally currently put other syntax extensions much higher on the todo-list. Having to refer to the strings by number should be no big problem for the musicians actually playing the instruments?

I don't know whether you have taken into account the
fact that guitar transposes an octave, sorry, I've never
used \treble for guitar music.

Well, I also prefer using the "G_8"-clef - so that the music is really notated in the octave where it sounds. I definitely think that default guitar strings should be defined like this. If one want's to define and display music one octave off (which is historically the normal thing to do), one could do

<
  \context Staff { \music }
  \context TabStaff \transpose c { \music }

I think that this would be intuitive enough - also for normal users.

-Rune