newbie question: lilypond squeezes everything on 1 staff

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: newbie question: lilypond squeezes everything on 1 staff
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:41:21 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Well,
>
> I did it, I tried lilypond. And it looks great so far,
> and apart from having trouble with english
> terminology, I can't seem to get lilypond
> create more then one staff. If I add more notes, they
> are just squeezed onto the same staff.

Just to add some more information: the current spacing engine doesn't
distinguish between compressing a line and stretching it. The line
mainly looks so awful because there is a huge variation in the 8th
notes (expanded because of the sharps) and the whole notes (compressed
to make everything fit). I'll experiment with some rules to force more
uniform spacing within a line, once we've entered the 1.7 development
again.

Greetings,

Han-Wen

--