Installation report on cygwin+lilypond 8/25-26/02

From: William R Brohinsky
Subject: Installation report on cygwin+lilypond 8/25-26/02
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:55:28 -0400

I downloaded the entire install yesterday and today (49.2K dialup) and
installed it this evening. The results, in a nutshell? Everything worked
fine.

However.

I did have a few bugaboo's, and am too tired to research the entire
email record of the lists, so consider this raw input:

ly2dvi -p <filename> produces different output from ly2dvi -P at the
postscript level:

ly2dvi -P produces .dvi files that lack certain features that appear in
the .ps output. I believe this is fairly well-known, and relates to the
fact that some features in the PS file are actually put into the .dvi
file as postscript meta-commands, and thus are considered beneath notice
by the dvi drivers. Specifically, beams on eighths and smaller notes
were missing, and brackets for triplets. (the 3's with the cute curlies
at the top were there, though.) Barlines, stems and dots didn't seem to
have gone missing at all, though. What did surprise me is that the text
(title, composer, etc) were properly displayed in xdvi!

The .ps files have everything from a -P compile of a lilypond input.

ly2dvi -p produces .dvi files that are identical to those produced with
-P. But the ps. files are missing features that were missing only in
.dvi files before...and also are missing text like title and composer!
The pdf files produced are identical to the .ps files as well, so they
lack features like text. Also, I noticed that the brackets for triplets
appeared in the .ps and .pdf files after a -p, but the cute 3's were
missing.

AND

it is really hard to get some form of ghost view running in cygwin. Even
where someone had claimed to have made the port, or gave specific
directions for bringing ghostview.1.5 into cygwin, I was unsuccesful.
This worried me until I got the best FreeBSD guy I know working on it.
He got further than I did (I bogged in the make file produced by xmkmf,
he got to where he was trying to figure out why SMlib.a wouldn't link),
but after 3 hours still didn't have a working native cygwin ghostview. I
ended up getting the windows-native gsview and ghostscript to match it
(duplicating all the ghostscript that came in the cygwin package, of
course), and now I can view ps files again.

It's worth mentioning that I did the install by running the setup
program (whatever was current on sunday), clicking once to get INSTALL
as the choice all through the tree, downloading all to my hard disk
(about 170MB) and then running setup again to install it all.

I also noticed I was getting complaints about old3/2, so I assume that
this has either been changed or gone totally out of style. Is there
something that clearly demarks when things (like backslashes, certain
properties, etc) went out of style or what replaced them?

raybro