Re: Debian/lily was: beaming with extreme range

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Debian/lily was: beaming with extreme range
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:57:12 +0200

Atte Andre Jensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, I didn't actually upgrade yet, but installed lily on another box
> running debian. Although I've been running linux for about 2 1/2 years, I
> just recently dared debian, and so far I'm *extremely* impressed.

Nice to hear that.  I like Debian too.

> I was even more pleased (+ a bit surprised) to find that lily
> installed without a single problem.

Yes.  That's why I try to advocate Debian a bit, at times.  I wish
more newbies/people with constant compilation problems woulrd try it.
It has all imaginable software, everything works, most things have
sane defaults, defaults don't get trashed in upgrades etc.  But best
of all is the LilyPond install.

> 1) "apg-get install -t unstable" gave me lily 1.6.0, which makes me wonder
> what the policies are concerning when (how soon) to find which version of
> lily in stable/frozen/unstable...???

You most probably won't see new versions in Woody, but you'll have to
ask Anthony.  In the mean time, you can try adding

    deb ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/binaries/debian woody .

to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and get an unofficial 1.6 from there.

> 2) my next time will be an upgrade. How painless/full will that be, esp
> regarding the good, old
> fonts-don't-match-your-lily-version-after-upgrade-problem??

Utterly painless.  And in case it's not, file a bug report against the
LilyPond package.

> And just because... "yes" the problem with the beams are gone in 1.6.0 :-)

Good.