Re: Windows Install, ly2dvi -p (small p), fonts problem.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Windows Install, ly2dvi -p (small p), fonts problem.
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:00:07 +0200

"Daniel Côté" <address@hidden> writes:

>  Has anyone met with the following problem:
>
> $  ly2dvi -p header.ly
>
> you get program readable header.ps and header.pdf, but they contain
> _no text_...

> report on cygwin+lilypond 8/25-26/02), but I am unaware of any response to
> it. Should we try for the Cygwin list???

No, this is the right place, for now.

> Note that I know that the big P option (i.e. ly2dvi -P header.ly) will work

> I am appending some transcript output with comments for those who know more
> about the internals and to whom it may mean something...

Good.

It seems that there's a problem with tetex's configuration (.map
files?), but I'm not sure and can't test right now.

[snip, looks fine]
> Invoking `dvips  -ta4 -Ppdf -G0 -u lilypond.map -oheader.ps header.dvi'
> This is dvips(k) 5.90a Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2002.08.29:1938' -> header.ps
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000 --dpi
> 8000
> cmbx10
> mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
> mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
> mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> dvips: Font cmbx10 not found, characters will be left blank.

Doesn't ring a bell, if noone knows I'll do some tests next week.

Please be sure to have tetex-base and tetex-extra installed, so that
you have a full tetex installation.  The bluesky fonts are in the
tetex-extra package.

If it doesn't work, you may try to run updmap after installation, or
invoke dvips by hand, adding -u psfonts.map:

    dvips  -ta4  -u lilypond.map -u psfonts.map -oheader.ps header.dvi

Good luck,
Jan.