Re: Re[2]: website suggestion

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Re[2]: website suggestion
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:59:21 -0700

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 01:33:16 -0700
Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:28:48 +0200
> J <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The thing is that the manual is automatically fractionned (by chapter,
> > section all those pages -- so normally, there should only one big
> > (huge) document with everything in it, which is the case at:
> > http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond.html
> > So it's Texinfo (I'm guessing), who divides the manual and -- but I'm
> > not an expert -- I don't think that the titles could be specified in
> > the source file itself, obligating you to modify every Lilypond HTML
>
> I found this:
> @html
> <!--- @@WEB-TITLE@@=Reference Manual --->
> @end html

Update: this definately won't work, because of the way Lily builds the
web site -- there's a standard html header file (it mostly sets up the
menus on the left) that's included in all the seperate html pages.  That
header also defines the title.

There might be another way to do it, of course -- I'm certainly not an
expert at these things.  I'd imagine that there's a way to make texinfo
automatically use the "@section foo" string for the html <title></title>.

Umm, I should have cc'd this to lilypond-devel a few emails ago.  In case
some people there don't read lilypond-user as well, here's the original
suggestion that we're discussing:

On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
Atte Andre Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I often thought it's a bit anoying what the <title> is on most of the
> website. If one searches one gets something like:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&brut_query=grace&q=site%3Awww.lilypond.org+-wiki+grace
>
> where most pages are called either "GNU LilyPond" or "LilyPond
> internals". OK, I can just look to the url to see which pages are
> about what, but I think a more telling <title> would be nice...

Cheers,
- Graham