Re: Still: fingering in chords

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Still: fingering in chords
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:55:14 +0000

Listing the numbers on the vertical is readable
when you get used to it but contrary
to the tradition of having the
finger numbers closest to the noteheads to
which they refer.

Fingering above and below is ok if it's not too
far above and below.  I've used fingering for
chords and strings also.  For those it's ok,
but for finger numbers it's usually not ok.
Fingering can cut by more than one third the
number of lines of music you can get on a page,
which is completely intolerable.

_""_"\\textcircled{\\textsc{e}}" is good for
advanced guitar players.  For beginners you
want string numbers instead.  The numbers have
to be one size smaller than the ring, (or the
ring one size larger, which I don't know how
to do.)

You got the answer of how to do horizontal.

Here's how to tuck finger numbers in better.
1.4.13:

fingerDown = {\context Voice \outputproperty
#(make-type-checker 'text-interface)
#'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . -2.0)}

fingerUp = {\context Voice \outputproperty
#(make-type-checker 'text-interface)
#'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . 2.0)}

For some reason which I do not understand
fingerBack is unnecessary, at least using
lilypond-book.  I haven't used it with
ly2dvi:

fingerBack = {\context Voice \outputproperty
#(make-type-checker 'text-interface)
#'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . 0.0)}

Take a look at sly.txt.gz in the archives.  You
want to be able to save in it, I suspect. :-)

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden