Re: tab

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:16:09 +0000

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:16:14 Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the replyers don't know how to "read music"?
> (That would be a pretty strong accusation, which would effectively
> kill the weight of the rest of your message.)

I am telling you that the vast majority of *guitar players* who
use tab are musically illiterate.  That is my experience, not a
suggestion.  Your replyers are hardly a representative sample.
If they couldn't read music they wouldn't be replyers.

> FWIW, I don't have any references that say anything about how strings
> are supposed to be numbered.

In the old edition of Gardner Read it's on page
377, under string notation - 1. Harmonics - paragraph 4.
Perhaps he says something about banjo
in your newer edition where the top string in pitch is the 5th?

It's probably under harmonics in Stone too.  I saw it in the
book but don't recall where.

Also see:

>>> http://www.music.utk.edu/theory/strings.html

> Right now, there is no syntax for string indication, the tablature
> code supposes that the strings encoded by numbers, and that that
> number is encoded in the fingering number, i.e.
>
>          c4-3
>
> will put a fingering  3 on the note in normal staff,  but put the note
> on string 3 on the tab staff (whereever that is).
>
> The current proposition is to use pitch names for indicating strings
> and continue the use of numbers for fingerings, i.e.
>
>       c4-3-a
>
> play with 3rd finger, on string known as "a".

I see.  Use :3 or ;3 for the string, or some other
separator that is available to you.  Continue
to use ^3 or _3 for the finger in the notation.
-3 would be much better to put a finger in front
of a note.

I do a *lot* of fingering, and I have always
avoided -3 for 'default' fingering, even on a single staff,
which is the only way it works at all.

To use another separator to put a finger in front
of a note and use a `-' for something entirely
different is painting yourself into a corner.

Unless you have some plan to *never* allow
a finger number in front of a note.  Not
a good plan.

And please consider this user syntax for setting up tab:

\string { [open string note] [open string symbol printed]
[1st half step symbol printed] [2nd half step symbol printed] ... }
\string { [open string note] [open string symbol printed]
[1st half step symbol printed] [2nd half step symbol printed] ... }
\string { [open string note] [open string symbol printed]
[1st half step symbol printed] [2nd half step symbol printed] ... }

Which in real life for guitar:

\string e'
\string b
\string g
\string d
\string a,
\string e,

or banjo:

\string d'
\string b
\string g
\string d
\string g' 0 6

would be very intuitive, since you would have one tab
line for each \string, in the usual order as printed.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden