Ver 1.6.0: No StaffSpacing wishes found

From: Alois Steindl
Subject: Ver 1.6.0: No StaffSpacing wishes found
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:31:36 +0200

Hello,
after a longer pause I tried to use lilypond again; since my TeX-installation
had changed, I decided to upgrade lilypond to its latest available version
(1.6.0 in the cygwin distribution) [also tried to install it in Redhat 7.3,
but that would make a different story]

After heavy reconfiguring (I just had installed LiveTeX on the machine, and
there are some clashes, which needed some investigation to circumvent, quite
prominently the builtin kpathsea-library) lilypond is now able to find all
necessary files and call the proper programs.
But it gives me strange error messages like the following (for the file
les-nereides in the documentation):
>> Running LilyPond...
>> GNU LilyPond 1.6.0
>> Now processing: `les-nereides.ly'
>> Parsing...
>> Interpreting music...
>> /home/asteindl/musik/les-nereides.ly:21:17: warning: Junking request:
`Key_change_req':
>>     \key a \major
>>

>> /home/asteindl/musik/les-nereides.ly:21:17: warning: Junking request:
`Key_change_req':
>>     \key a \major
>>
>> [5]
>> Preprocessing elements...
>> Calculating column positions... programming error: No StaffSpacing wishes
found (Continuing; cross thumbs)
>> programming error: No StaffSpacing wishes found (Continuing; cross thumbs)
>> programming error: No StaffSpacing wishes found (Continuing; cross thumbs)
>> [3]
>> paper output to `les-nereides.tex'...

In my own example I get much more of these messages and the text isn't
centered below the notes, but left aligned.

So my (not really) short questions:
Is the problem
a) in my configuration,
b) in the source file,