Re: chords w/ornaments

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: chords w/ornaments
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:29:33 +0000

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:36:06 Simon Bailey wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 09:28, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > A fermata isn't an ornament.  How would you apply a
> > turn to a chord?
>
> it's listed in the manual under ornamentations|articulations...
>
> i'd apply it the same way:
> <c1 a e,>\turn
>
> for staccato, marcato, etc. i'd also use the same syntax.
>
> <c1 a e,>-. or <c1 a e,>\staccato
> <c1 a e,>-> or <c1 a e,>\marcato
>
> simon.

So a turn applied to a note should be different from
a turn applied to a chord.  If there is a plan to
implement these articulations in the midi somehow,
such as fermata=0.3 (of a beat), then what you
suggest is surely necessary.

It potentially could be of great use with fingering right
now.  This is "incorrect" in the sense of being nontraditional:

1
2
3
4

*|
*|
*|
*|

4
3
2
1

*|
*|
*|
*|

because the performer has a right to be able to
assume that the finger indication *closest to
the notehead* is the one that should be applied.
He has to guess what order that fingering
should be read in.  That's why it was not
done that way in the 19th century. Furthermore
it is a profligate waste of paper and worst
of all it causes confusion about what
line of music a finger belongs to.

On the other hand, I have found that usage to
be useful for some purposes.  I've even based
a harmonica filter on it, which I will post
in a few months at my site.  I could
easily put <>'s around each note.  I have taken
advantage of the present usage also throughout
the "Ten Lessons" at

>>http://www.openguitar.com.

Of course there is nothing wrong with multiple
indications which apply to the closest note,
in any order:

 (4)  =string in a ring
  i|    =RH (index)
  3|   =LH(3rd finger)
  *|
  *|
 (E)  =string in a ring
  t    =RH (thumb)
  4|   =LH(4th finger)

To cut to the chase, a chord could be fingered
this way, the way notes are now:

<g, b, d g>_(E)^4^3(4)^2^1

1
2