Re: Settings for a hymn book

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Settings for a hymn book
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:08:14 -0700

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:36:06 -0600
"Oscar A. Valdez" <address@hidden> wrote:
> There are two things I would like to change, but don't know how:
>
> 1) The notes (especially in the second score) seem to be vertically centered
> on the staff, with excessive space between them. I would like them to be
> left-aligned, and closely spaced.

I think you mean "horizontally centered", not "vertically centered".

If you only have a short line (like your second piece), try setting
\paper{linewidth=-1.0}

> 2) I would like the "opus" header to appear only once, before the first
> score, and not twice, before each score.

When you define \header{} at the beginning of your ly file, you are actually
specifying the default header to use
for all \scores in that file.  So LilyPond prints two sets of \headers (you
don't notice the double-taglines since
they're "printed on top of each other", but you do notice the opus).

To fix this, either move the \header definition inside the first score, or
define \header{opus=""} inside your
second \score.

> Help will be appreciated.

Here's a simple example of one way to modify your score:

> **************************
> \score {

[snip]

> }
> \score {

[snip]

>       \lyrics {
>           A men.
>       }

\header{opus="" }
\paper{linewidth=-1.0}

> }

-----

ie stick those two extra lines just before the last } in your last \score.

Cheers,
-  Graham