Re: Lilypond for the visually-impaired

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Lilypond for the visually-impaired
Date: 22 Sep 2002 11:20:22 -0400

    Ruven> Lilypond looks like it might be very useful for people with visual
    Ruven> impairments, such as myself, if I can get the music larger.  So far,
    Ruven> have used 26pt. fonts, and rotated the paper to landscape.  I'd like
    Ruven> to be able to magnify the music much more than that.  Can I do it
    Ruven> somehow?

If I needed music bigger than 26 point, I'd produce it at 26 points,
use the dvips -E option to produce an epsf file, and then use
the latex graphicx package to enlarge to to however big I needed it.
You'll have to experiment with what line width the original lilypond
file should have to make the enlarged file fit on the size paper you
want to use.

I can produce more detailed directions than this if someone would find
them helpful.

I don't know how difficult it would be to produce a larger font size
that lilypond could use directly.  If large music for the visually
impaired became an important use of lilypond, I would think this would
actually be the best way to do it.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139