Re: stem fix 2

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: stem fix 2
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:14:47 +0000

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:06:44 Graham Percival wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:54:07 +0000
> David Bobroff <address@hidden> wrote:
> > David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> > >Now, since you have two notes really sounding, you should have
> > >two noteheads.  If you had two instruments your notation
> > >would be ok.  For solo, it isn't.  Sorry.
> >
> > Ok.  I'll mention this to the person whose manuscript I'm working from and
> > see how he wants it to appear.
>
> Sometimes a solo voice _will_ have a single notehead with two stems -- right
> now I'm looking at the fourth movement of a Telemann concerto for viola in
> G major, which uses a single notehead with two stems to denote a double
> stop between an open A string and playing that same note on the D string.
> Printed by International Music Company, New York.

I don't deny that it is done.  The problem is that
the interpretation "a due" is not in doubt, but
a solo instrument presents ambiguity, because
as you know, double stems also are used to indicate
legato and sostenuto.  Wiser to have two heads
or not according to whether there are actually
two strings sounding or not.  Of course that does
not apply to keyboard music, or, apparently, to
Telemann.  If it's post-Baroque, do it.  If it's
Baroque, do it anyway.

> >  How would I get the two noteheads with stems?

I hope \shiftOn and \shiftOff still work.  I haven't
needed them since my last upgrade.  DaveA