Re: Using multiple versions of lilypond

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Using multiple versions of lilypond
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:20:36 +0200

"Antonio PALAMA'" <address@hidden> writes:

> .. the first
> problem I come across is how to have multiple versions of
> lilypond installed and how to switch among them.
> I would like to stay with the binary sistributions (Debian)
> of 1.2.17, 1.4.12 and 1.6.XX

Well, that's currently not easily possible without doing some work.

However, there should be no need to run different versions: newer
(stable) versions should be better.  If not, please file a full bug
report.

The only thing I can imagine, is to install different versions on
different filesystems.  You could try usermode-linux, or the the blunt
way: install a minimalistic version of Debian and chroot to that.

For a developer, it's not too difficult to run versions of lilypond
from the building directory; but compiling lilypond is not easy.

It should also not be too difficult to modify debian/rules to tag the
version number to each executable.  Upon installation, setup the
symlinks.  In fact, this could even be done by lilypond's install, or
by use of Debian's alternatives system.  We could have a virtual
lilypond package, with a set of real lilypondx.y packages.

> And, yes, I use lilypond as a standalone program and write
> my own envelope files for LateX; ly2dvi is not flexible
> enough for the kind of typesetting i do.

What about lilypond-book, have you considered contributing to that?

Jan.