voices

From: Hans Kieserman
Subject: voices
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:19:35 -0700

Hi-
Why does Lilypond try to "join" voices? Sorry I don't have a better way to explain it- but, for example, a quarter-note/crotchet in one voice that occurs at the beginning of a run of eighth-notes/quavers will apparently cause the first quaver to become a crotchet, which doesn't seem to make much sense.

I think of the Voice context as independent lines of counterpoint; is that incorrect?

Thanks,
Hans

ex.
\score {