Re: tempo markings

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tempo markings
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:30:24 -0700

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:30:06 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> For a simple piece with score and parts how do I cause the tempo marking
> to appear only at once above the top part in the score and and once at
> the beginning of each part.  This will be a fairly standard marking like:

AFAIK, there is no easy good way of doing this.  I've been thinking about
requesting this feature for a while.

> where I do know how to create '<note> = 100' as per the manual.

Text markup, IIRC.  It's in one of the "text" sections in the reference manual.

> So far I put it in the first part and it, of course, appeared on the
> score and on the first part and of course not on the other parts.

Three options:
- Place a mark (see the reference manual) in every single part of your piece.
Print parts.  Then go back and comment out the marks in all parts apart from
the first one, then print a score.
- use something like \header {meter="Allegro (quarter = 120)"
- define a "tempopart" part which looks like this:
tempopart = \notes { s1^#(note (something "= 120) see-refman) }
In your parts, include both the actual part and tempopart.
\context Staff < \violinpart \tempopart>
In the full score, only include the \tempopart in the first staff.

I've done all three of them, and they all have disadvantages.

HTH,
- Graham