Re: Can't get the thing to compile...

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: Can't get the thing to compile...
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:08:35 +0000

Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

... actually I can't get past the ./configure stage...

I am using a Mandrake 9.0 Linux distribution, and I have tetex, python
and libpython-devel installed (from Mandrake packages). I downloaded
Lilypond 1.6.6, but ./configure says :

ERROR: Please install required programs:  python.h (python-devel,
python-dev or libpython-dev package)

Did you remember to remove config.cache before rerunning ./configure?

Now if I try to do the same with 1.7.4, everything is ok regarding
Python, but it says I need guile-config 1.6, which I only have in
version 1.4.

So what do you think, do I really have to install guile 1.6 to get the
thing compiled, or does somebody know a quick workaround to make 1.6.6
compile properly?

Should be no problems with building 1.6 from source and putting it in /usr/local. However as you're running Mandrake 9.0, even after you've got configure to run, you might run into problems doing the compile. This distro has a buggy version of flex which generates
code which is not recognised by gcc 3.2. See past threads on this list:

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/lilypond-user/2002-October/002916.html

describes a workaround (I haven't tried this myself).

--
chris