Centering text spanners under a note

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: Centering text spanners under a note
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:34:29 -0800

I am typesetting an old edition of Mozart quartets, and sometimes
dynamics appear in parentheses.  I manage to write these with

\score {
  \context Staff {
    \notes \relative c' {
      c1_#'(columns (large "(") (dynamic "p") (large ")"))

but the "(p)" string is not rightly centered above the note (it is a
bit at the right because of the parentheses).  I tried with the
"edge-text" of the Text Spanner grob, but without success (brackets
are not shown at all):

\score {
  \context Staff {
    \notes \relative c' {
      \once \property Voice.TextSpanner
            \override #'edge-text = #'("(" . ")")
      f4_#'(dynamic "p")

What could be the best possible solution?

Many thanks
  Maurizio.

NEW - FREE Nettaxi 56kbs Dial-up INTERNET ACCESS with NO ADS or Ad Bars!
http://www.nettaxi.com/isp/