Re: vertical alignment (possible error!)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: vertical alignment (possible error!)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 20:57:45 -0800

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 19:26:44 -0500
address@hidden (Suzanne E. Blatt) wrote:
> \score {
>  \simultaneous {
>   \addlyrics
>       \property Staff.skipbars = ##t

Why are you skipping bars?  Is there any un-skipbars?

>       \context Staff="StaffA" \StaffA
>       \context Lyrics="StaffAText \ StaffAText
                                     ^
That should be "\StaffAText". not "\ StaffAText".

>     }
> \paper {
>      linewidth = 160.00 \mm
>      textheight = 230.00 \mm
>  }
> }
>
> When I tried putting the '\translator { \StaffContext
> minimumVerticalExtent' under the \paper, I got an error - the
> unexpected SCM thingy and I got the same when I tried to specify the
> minimumVertical Extent under \score as  \context
> Staff.minimumVerticalExtent.

I'm still not certain if the error is actually with the \translator
section.  Try commenting out a lot of your code, and try to get it to
work with a really simple example.  Once it's working with a simple
example, then gradually uncomment lines to determine where exactly the
error is.

> Also ... when I specify the linewidth and textheight, run the .ly and
> generate the .ps, then look at it in gv - often it will be on one page

Do you want to use USletter, A4 paper, or some wierd papersize of your
own? I recommend that you use the preset paper sizes if possible.
for example,
\paper {papersize=letter}

Lilypond uses A4 by default.  A4 is a little bit longer than USletter
paper; if you try to print A4 onto USletter paper, you'll lose
copyright/tagline.

If you use paper names like "letter" or "A4", gv will tell you what papersize
it is (one of the boxes along the top).

Cheers,
- Graham