Re: PNG output with Lilypond?

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: PNG output with Lilypond?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:29:07 +0100 (CET)

> I am trying to create a png output file with Lilypond.  I tried:
>     lilypond -f PNG test.ly

Yesterday there was also a question about PNG generation. In UNIX/Linux
there is a beautiful command "convert" which translates one picture format
into another. If you create a single page postscript file mymusic.ps with
lilypond, then with the command ...

convert mymusic.ps mymusic.png

... you get your PNG file. See "man convert" for (many) details. I just
tried it on some one-sheet of lilymusic, on a linux system without lily or
the fetafonts installed, and it worked nicely. I guess that on systems
with those fonts installed (where I am now I do not have a working
lilypond available) you might also do directly

convert mymusic.dvi mymusic.png

Maybe I am overlooking something, but to me this seems like the simplest
conversion trick, easy to remember also. You do not need to use the GIMP.
Using the GIMP for picture format conversion is like going to the
supermarket with a space ship.

Ciao,
David Boersma