Re: PNG output with Lilypond?

From: Carter Brey
Subject: Re: PNG output with Lilypond?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:44:07 -0500

David Boersma wrote:

I am trying to create a png output file with Lilypond.  I tried:
   lilypond -f PNG test.ly

Yesterday there was also a question about PNG generation. In UNIX/Linux
there is a beautiful command "convert" which translates one picture format
into another. If you create a single page postscript file mymusic.ps with
lilypond, then with the command ...

convert mymusic.ps mymusic.png

David is right, and 'convert' will also automatically create separate png files for each page of a mulitpage ps file. Boy, does this make sense. It's a beautiful example of a tiny Unix command that you can daisychain onto your lilypond command, e.g.

ly2dvi -P foo.ly && convert foo.ps foo.png

will produce foo.png.0 and foo.png.1 if foo.ps is a two-page postscript file.

So economical and elegant. I love it.

Thanks,
Carter

--