Re: (no subject)

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:52:23 -0700

The quick answer - go to http://www.lilypond.org ... click on the appropriate download link (menu, left side).

I think the web page would be familiar & comfortable to most people with Linux or GNU experience so I will assume you are looking for the Windows version.  Therefore, from the http://lilypond.org home page, click on the 'Windows Binaries' link (left side menu, in the Download segment) ... click on the "Install Lily Now" link (in the Quick Install section, towards the top of the main window area) ... if you start this from Internet Explorer, this could start automatically.

Lilypond runs in Linux or other Unix variants.  One variant in particular, Cygwin, is designed to run in a Windows environment - it runs very well on my AMD-500 running Windows 98 SE.  So I run Windows, which runs Cygwin, which runs Lilypond in what appears initially to be a "DOS prompt" window.  I do not believe there is a 'native' Windows version.

Personal comment ... The web site is very typical of a Linux or GNU site - all the information is there, but in most of these sites I've always had to go through the entire contents at least once to familiarize myself with the general organization, as well as the purpose and thought process of the program.  This may seem tedious, but it is very much worth your time - especially given the value and flexibility of a superb product like Lilypond.

Hope this helps
/Hans

Steven Thompson wrote:

hiI found your web site confusing and just wanted to know how I can get hold of lilypond?                Andy