Re: Problem with Lyrics.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem with Lyrics.
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:41:27 +0100

When specifying the durations of lyrics, you have two main choices,
a) Specify the duration of each syllable explicitly
b) Use the durations copied from another line of music.

The second alternative is what you get when you use \addlyrics.
This means that Lilypond doesn't care at all about what explicit
durations you have specified for the syllables, so it doesn't matter
if you say A16 or A4 or whatever.

In your example it's easy to get the correct duration also for the
two last syllables, just add it to the soprano part instead of the alto part using addlyrics.

Method a) is almost never used, as far as I know, but if you want to
try it, you should remove the \addlyrics statement and add explicit
durations like
A4 -- bend wird es __ wie2 -- der,2

    /Mats

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
I'm using version 1.6.6.

There seems to be very little help in the manual for lyrics (is this
only my opinion?). However, it does say under Durations that they
apply to lyric mode. But I cannot get them to work right.

I have a time signature of 4/4. So I reckon that to typeset one
syllable of the lyrics to match one crotchet, then a duration of 4 on
the first syllable should be correct. Instead, I have to specify 16
(!).

In addition, I cannot get long syllables at the end - although I
specify a duration of 1 for the final two syllables, the get set to a
crotchet each.

Finally I get some warning messages I don't understand.

First the source file:

\paper { papersize = "a4" }
\include "paper20.ly"
\header{
        title = "Abend wird es wieder"
        subtitle = "Words by Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798-1874)"
        composer = "Johan Cristian Heinrich Fünck (1770-1846). Arranged by Carsten
Gerlitz."
}

sopMusic = \notes  {    \property Staff.midiInstrument = "flute"
        \time 4/4
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        b'4 b' a' a' |
        g'2 d' |
        e'4 fis' g' b' |
        a'2. r4 |

        b' b' c'' b' |
        a'2 d'' |
        g'4 c'' b' a' |
        g'2. r4 |

        b'2( c''4 b' |
        a'2 )d'' |
        g'4( c'' b' a' |
        )g'2. r4 \bar "|."
}

altoMusic = \notes  {
        \property Staff.midiInstrument = "violin"
        \property Staff.instrument = "S/A"
        \time 4/4
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        a'4 g' g' fis' |
        d'( )c' b( c'8 )c' |
        e'4 d' d' g' |
        g'( fis'8 e' )fis'4 r |

        d'8( )g' g'( )f' e'4 d' |
        cis'2 c'8( e' d' )c' |
        b( )d' g'( )e' g'( )d' c'( )d' |
        b2. r4 |

        d' f' e' d' |
        c' e' fis' e' |
        d' e' g'8( )d' c'( )d' |
        b2. r4 \bar "|."
}
altoWords =      \lyrics \context Lyrics <
      \context LyricsVoice = "verse 1" {
         \property LyricsVoice . stanza = "1."
          A16 -- bend wird es __ wie -- der, __ \"{u}\ -- ber Wald und Feld __
s\"{a}u -- selt Frie -- den nie -- der, __ und es rhut die Welt. mh1 __ mh1
          }

tenorMusic = \notes { \property Staff.midiInstrument = "bassoon"
        \property Staff.instrument = "Baritones "
        \time 4/4
        \key g \major
        \clef bass
        d'4-\mf d' d' d'8( )c'  |
        b4( )a g( a8 )b |
        c'4 c' b a |
        d2. r4 |

        g g g g |
        g2 fis |
        g8( )fis e( )c d4 d |
        a,2. r4 |

        g,1-\p(\( |
        )g,2. \)c4 |
        b,( c d2 |
        )g2. r4 \bar "|."
 }

\score { \notes
          \context StaffGroup <
              \property Score.automaticMelismata = ##t
          \context Lyrics = sopLyrs { s1 }
          \context Staff = women { s1 }
          \context Lyrics = altoLyrs { s1 }
          \context Lyrics = tenorLyrs { s1 }
          \context Staff = men {\clef bass s1 }
          \context Lyrics = bassLyrs { s1 }
          \context Staff = women \context Voice = VA { \voiceOne \sopMusic }
          \addlyrics
                \context Staff = women \context Voice = VB { \voiceTwo
\altoMusic }
                \context Lyrics = altoLyrs { \altoWords}
          \context Staff = men \context Voice = VA { \voiceOne \tenorMusic }

  \paper {
    \translator {

% a little smaller so lyrics can be closer to the staff. \StaffContext
        minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)

and then the messages from lilypond:

cd /home/colin/
lilypond /home/colin/abend.ly
GNU LilyPond 1.6.6
Now processing: `/home/colin/abend.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][13]
Preprocessing elements... Calculating column positions... programming error: Unknown prefatory spacing. (Continuing; cross thumbs)
programming error: No StaffSpacing wishes found (Continuing; cross thumbs)
[3][6][9][12][13]
paper output to `abend.tex'...

LilyPond finished at Tue Nov 19 15:32:41

Any help gratefully received.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems