Re: What to do now [formerly (no subject)]

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: What to do now [formerly (no subject)]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:50:46 -0700

Steven, or Andy (you seem to be using Steven's email)

(Copying Lilypond-user list ... hopefully this might help some other
newbies as well)

1) Please ...
a) Make sure the list is included, as the information just might be
useful for others;
b) Ensure you use a subject line in your emails;
c) Give a bit of information about your envinronment ... your questions
are too short, and I need to make a lot of assumptions.  Due to these
assumptions, I may inadvertently seem to insult you or your skills.

2) You imply that you have installed the program - although you never do
say that, nor do you let anyone know what kind of computer or operating
systems you are using.  I will assume that you are using WIndows.  I
also assume you clicked on the "Install Lily Now" link on the WIndows
Binaries page.  Is this correct?

3) It's not a DOS application.  It's a Linux application, and uses the
Cygwin 'operating system'.  As compared to many Windows applications,
you MUST do some readong, otherwise you could easily get lost.

Do you understand Unix or Linux in any way?  Your answer will greatly
affect how the friendly people on this list can respond.

If you do not understand Unix or Linux, I strongly encourage you to go
to the Cygwin site at http://www.cygwin.com/ to get familiar with the
basic concepts of the environment.  Specifically, go to the menu on the
left side and click on the "User's Guide" link.  and start reading at
least Chapter 1 - until the section on 'Expectations for UNIX
programmers'.

4) Assuming you installed the Cygwin application, did you read past the
"Install Lily Now" paragraph on the page? You do not let anyone know
whether you have done the basic tests or installed any of the supporting
stuff.  There are other things to do, and possibly to install as
described on that page..  There is also a section on testing Lilypond to
make sure you've installed correctly.

5) Do you realize that the basic flow for running lilypond is:

a) Get into 'unix' (what you call 'DOS') and move to the directory that
you want to work in.  This is called a 'shell'.  Use the 'cd' command to
'c'hange 'd'irectory.

b) Create / edit a file that contains the 'note description' you want
(use Notepad if you want, but store the file as ".ly" instead of
".txt").  Use the Tutorial to get an idea of what the .ly file contents
will look like.  (Do NOT use Microsoft Word or Wordperfect or similar -
they leave all sorts of charaters in the file.)

c) Start Lilypond entering "ly2dvi -P xyz.ly" in the shell.  Replace xyz
with the name of your file.  Or you could use some tricks like "ly2dvi
-P xyz.ly > lily.log 2>&1" to record all messages and errors to the file
lily.log.

d) If any error messages - look at the eror messages (either on the
screen or in the log file) and fix the .ly file ... you will likely need
to look through the manual at http://www.lilypond.org (use the "Manual"
link, menu left side).  Once you've fixed some or all errors, return to
c) above and rerun lilypond.

6) Finally, look at the resulting xyz.ps file using a PostScript viewer
such as GhostView - hopefully you installed that as directed on the
install page.

/Hans