two problems

From: David Bobroff
Subject: two problems
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 11:56:57 +0000

What started out as a single question has become two.  In the following
short excerpt I want to place "pp sub." below <d16 a'>.  Specifically, I
want a regular dynamic "pp" and an italic "sub.".

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\score{
\notes \relative c{
\clef F
\time 2/4
<d4.. a'> <d16 a'> ~ | <d2 a'> |
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I have tried:

<d15 a'_(dynamic "pp" (italic "sub."))>

and

<d15 a'_((dynamic "pp") (italic "sub."))>

Both of them leave me with strange errors in the console;

********************************
Calculating column positions... warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.
Ignoring them.
warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.  Ignoring them.

paper output to `testing.tex'...
warning: can't find ascii character: 117
warning: can't find ascii character: 120
warning: can't find ascii character: 98
warning: can't find ascii character: 120
warning: can't find ascii character: 46
warning: can't find ascii character: 120
********************************

...and I was left with only an italic 's' under the staff.

Placing the scheme code outside the <> gives me a nasty parse error
(unexpected "_").

Using a combination of \pp and _#'(italic "sub.") left me with the two
things overlapping each other.  Chaining them like:

_#'(dynamic "pp")_#'(italic "sub.") stacked them one on top of the other.

Now the second mystery.  I lifted this short bit out of a score.  In the
score this works but in this short excerpt the chord <d16 a'> is stacked as
two notes with their own flags, the tie is not printed, and from the
console I get:

Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions... warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.
Ignoring them.
warning: Too many clashing notecolumns.  Ignoring them.

Thanks,

David Bobroff