Re: Cresc & Decresc

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Cresc & Decresc
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:47:17 +0100

If you want the crescendo to last to the end of the note,
why not do
        a1 \<
        < \! s R1*4>

   /Mats

Ralph Little wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for that Mats.
As an aside, I have a sequence of (something like):

\notes {
        \time 4/4
        a1 \< \!
        R1*4
        <etc...>
}

This throws an error because the \! attaches to the following note, which is
a multi-measure rest in this case!
If I insert an "s4" before the R, would this throw out my time sequencing,
and therefore, generate a bar check error on the R1*4?

\notes {
        \time 4/4
        a1 \< \! s4
        R1*4
        <etc...>
}

In this situation, I guess that I would have to revert to something like the
following , and also for situations where I don't want the cresc/dim to
extend to the next bar.

\notes {
        \time 4/4
        <{a1} {s4 \< s s \! s}>
        R1*4
        <etc...>
}

It's a shame that the \< does not attach to the following note and the \!
attach to the previous instead of the inverse as at present.
I guess there are syntactic reasons why this is not the case.

In any case, <{} {}> does provide some interesting options for spacing and
insertion of multiple dynamic marks under single notes, which I will
experiment with...

Regards,
Ralph