Re: install problem with libguile.so.9

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: install problem with libguile.so.9
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:58:45 -0800

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:54:28 -0500
Al Partis <address@hidden> wrote:
> I downloaded the RedHat 7.x RPM binary for LilyPond 1.6.5-1 and tried
> to install via  rpm -i lilypond.1.6.5-1.i386.rpm and got an error
> informing me of a missing dependency on libguile.so.9.  I then
> downloaded the most recent GUILE, v1.3.4, compiled and installed it.
> libguile.so.9 still does not show up anywhere on my system and of
> course the LilyPond install continues to fail.

When you manually compile and install a program, it doesn't appear in the RPM
(or deb) database.  That's one problem with using a package system.  :(

I believe that you can tell RPM "I have these packages installed on my system
already, don't bug me about then" (I think I read that as part of the Linux
>From Scratch handbook).  You can also tell rpm to ignore missing dependencies.
(I believe it's "rpm -i --nodeps foo.rpm", but check the man page)

This is a problem that affects all binary distributions, and I can't think of
any good solution.  :(

Cheers,
- Graham