lilypond question (aligning lyrics)

From: Jeff Ousley
Subject: lilypond question (aligning lyrics)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:45:16 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I'm trying to quickly come up to speed on lilypond and
stumbling quite a bit. I'm putting together a music
book for a group I'm in. In working on the first, very
short song, I'm running into a problem with the
lyrics. The song starts out with a quarter note pickup
(\partial 4). So, the first measure has two 8th notes.
There should be two words in the lyrics that align to
these 8th notes, but it's not working. The first word
seems to be aligning to the second note.

I've attached the file so you can see what I'm talking
about. Are there sites that have simple examples. Most
of my pieces will be rather simple. But so far, it's
been a struggle.

thanks!
-jeff