Re: Common and differing lyrics

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Common and differing lyrics
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:39:02 -0800

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:10:38 +0100
Ferenc Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
> > For the "common lyrics" sections, you could use blank
> > lyrics.
>
> Yes, I read through every obvious piece of documentation,
> except the internals part, which I'm still unable to
> understand.  I tried to avoid inserting long empty lyrics,
> which seem 'fragile' (it would take me four tries on average
> to get the timing right) and don't show/catch the real
> situation.

Er, yes.  That's true.  Hmm... IIRC, each "_" corresponds to one note.
So you can count how many notes you have in a phrase, and then put in
the corresponding number of _s.  If you're doing a small piece.

Sorry, I don't really know lyrics that well -- I've only written a one-page
peice that uses lyrics; everything else I do doesn't have any singers.

>  In the manual section about repeats there is a
> short note about using \repeat fold to stack lyrics, this is
> what I use currently.  However, it has some alignment
> issues, which I tried to explain in my first letter.  And
> still no mention of vertical centering of common parts...
> Am I asking too much?

My experience is that Lilypond can do anything; the only trouble is how messy
it is to get what you want.  You can insert raw TeX commands into a lilypond
file,
and TeX can do anything.  (it's kind-of like using assembly in a C program)
I'm certain you don't need to go to that extreme, but I don't know enough about
lyrics and/or scheme to help you further.  I suggest you try reading the
sections of the manual -- I'm certain the answer is there.  Good luck.

Cheers,
- Graham