Vertical alignment of piano pedalling symbols

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Vertical alignment of piano pedalling symbols
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:53:55 GMT

Hi,

I've been updating some old music I typeset with LilyPond 1.2 to LilyPond
1.6, and was delighted to discover that proper piano sustain pedal glyphs
have been implemented in the meantime.

When I typeset the music using Lily 1.2, I used lyrics to implement the
"Ped." and "*" symbols. This worked well enough, and still does with 1.6,
giving acceptable results (see pedal-old.png).

The only way I've found of using the new "proper" pedalling symbols, however,
is to use \sustainDown and \sustainUp in the music, in the same way dynamic
symbols are handled.

This gives the correct symbols. However, the vertical alignment is all over
the place (see pedal-new.png). This doesn't look attractive at all, and I was
wondering if anyone knows a way to get them nicely aligned without manually
adjusting each one. A way of including them in a \lyrics section would be
ideal - I've had a go at trying to do this, but haven't been successful.

I have looked through the example files, manual, and mailing list archives,
but haven't found anything that answers my question. My apologies if I've
missed something.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris