instrumentation

From: dra
Subject: instrumentation
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:05:06 -0600

Dave who sent a negative answer before should know this trick,
see http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2002-06/msg00147.html

    /Mats

Indeed I should, and I am grateful to have it.

1. I really think that a midi copy is less
work.  Working with sly of course the notes
exist in both .ly files, which makes editing
the parts much easier.  You don't need to
fork them until you are actually doing the
dynamics.

2. If you try to give the midi copy a bit
more polish, you will probably have a *lot*
more dynamic markings in the midi than you
could stand cluttering up the score.

3.  I think it would be good to have midi-only
dynamics as well as visible dynamics, but
isn't a separate copy simpler to deal with,
especially if you want something like
p in the print version and mp in the midi?

No doubt I will find a use for your solution
in some future project, but for the present
the separate score is simpler for me, and I
suspect for others too.  If Ferenc is going
to do harmonics and stuff like that, I think
having two .ly files will be better.  DaveA