How to emphasize downbeats

From: Daniel Ashton
Subject: How to emphasize downbeats
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:27:51 -0500

Greetings,

I'd like to prepare music for a less experienced player. As this person approaches music, I recommend that they start by playing the downbeats (to keep up with the ensemble), and then more of the quarter notes, and later add the eighth notes.

My thought is to print the downbeats in black but the intervening notes in gray. Or perhaps to use larger and smaller notes to help the eye focus on the stronger beats. Or perhaps to omit the in-between notes.

What do you suggest? And is there an easy way to do it in lilypond? (Hmmmm . . . perhaps I could write a Perl filter to remove the in-between notes.)

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org