Confused

From: Fabio dos Santos
Subject: Confused
Date: 29 Jan 2003 23:47:23 -0200

Ok Guys,

I've been reading the manual, and the whole context / grob / engravers /
properties things have me confused. I can handle basic tasks, and
actually, got the hang of editing more complex parts, but I can't seem
to understand how to tune up things. So I've been tryng to comprehend it
lilypond's internal working a bit better.

So I'm going to ask, and perhaps, this could be put somewhere in the
manual to help out other people who get confused by this as well.
perhaps you guys will enlighten me.

>From what I gathered in the Manual, there are three steps that lilypond
takes in order to produce the printable score. The first one is reading
the source that you typed. It separates what it reads into seperate
contexts, and based on these contexts, it decides what grobs will be
placed. It utilizes engravers to calculate which grobs go where, and
their spacing. This spacing depends on many variables which are related
to contexts, and data and grobs that are placed right?

The part that really gets me confused is that the internals manual never
makes it very clear what belongs to what. Also, there isn't a very clear
distinction between context properties, and grob properties, nor how to
change them, or where to change them. Apparently, in terms of syntax,
its just all the same to the user.

The reason I'm sending this email is because I need to make a measure a
bit larger than lilypond was making it, but I faced 2 problems: firstly,
I did not know if I had to change the grobs of the notes, or the staff
context (StaffSpacing?). I figured that problem pritty fast. But then, I
coulnd't figure out, within the context, which was the variable I had to
change, nor which command I had to issue to change it, nor where I had
to issue the command so that only that measure was changed. . . .

So as you can see, i'm pritty confused. Please help me understand
lilypond a bit better.

Fabio.